We hope you enjoy our free group exercise tips. All of our assessment centre resources are offered free of charge.
Group exercise tips
- Such group exercises are a common feature of graduate assessment centres and sometimes of managerial development centres.
- Group exercises typically involve a group of four to six candidates given a group or individual exercise briefs.
Assessment Exercise Design
- Assessment Centre design
- Competency-based Interviews and Interview Guide Design
- Development Centre design and development exercise design
Group exercise preparation
A group exercise occurs whilst assessors located around the room note what individuals are saying and how they are reacting to the group dynamics. Specifically the assessors are considering how the individuals meet competency areas of behaviour.
When are group exercises used?
The most popular application is graduate Assessment Centres. Group exercises are inappropriate within day-to-day selection contexts. Since all candidates must be available at the same time, a group exercise does not fit within a normal interview schedule that’s set-up for staggered candidate arrivals.
Group exercise competencies
The observable competencies can vary quite considerably, including:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Managing Others
- Team working
- Planning and Organising
- Verbal Communication
- Influencing skills
- Social Confidence
- Adaptability, Flexibility
- Negotiation Skills
- Creative / innovative thinking
- Motivating Others
- Project management