An effective competency design framework is crucial to the operation of many HR practices.
Shown below is an example of a typical competency design framework used in an assessment centre. In this case, the group exercise’s competency component of the overall assessment centre competency matrix:
– Oral Communication
How clearly and confidently the individual communicates with the group.
– Planning and Organising
How much consideration is given to planning and systematically going through the issues outlined in the scenario.
– Judgement and Decision-Making
How logically the individual makes their decisions and judges other participants’ input/comments.
– Analysis and Problem-Solving
How effectively the individual analyses the scenario’s issues and the solutions proposed.
– Finding Solutions
The creative thinking that is shown. The number and effectiveness of the ideas generated.
How well the individual works with and encourages the other group exercise participants.
Competency framework design
Having a competency framework helps an organisation to:
– Know which knowledge, skills and abilities are important for success in each role
– Measure and benchmark organisational performance
– Select, develop and performance manage employees (against the competencies associated with each role).
– Is it more cost effective to adapt an already validated model?
– How best to get buy-in across the business? Firstly, for involvement in the development stage. Secondly, to get commitment to future use of the validated framework.
– What role analysis techniques are most suitable for analysing each of the job roles?
– How to benchmark employee performance against the trial competency framework?
– How to validate the effectiveness of the draft competency framework?
Competency design – Telephone interview
Previous projects that have encompassed telephone interview sift designs include:
- Competency-based sift design for telephone and cv-based sifts (finance sector)
- Telephone interview script design (consultancy firm)
- Conducting telephone interviews for the armed services
- Telephone interview design (manufacturing sector)