Psychometric test validation
Rob Williams Assessment Ltd have considerable experience in assessing the validity of psychometric tests. This is a one of the key final stages in any psychometric test design. Most recently we have been asked to validate situational judgement tests. In addition to test the SJT reliability and to advise on suitable cut-off scores which minimise any adverse impact (due to gender, age, ethnic group and disability).
Many of the UK’s and US’s leading test publishers have used Rob Williams Assessment’s to assist with ensuring the psychometric properties of their trial psychometric tests. We consult on how to improve any test’s psychometric properties, particularly the test’s internal reliability and construct validity.
There are many other types of psychometric test validation evidence, and one-off studies investigating a psychometric test’s criterion validity are common.
Psychometric test validation stages
There are several stages in any psychometric test validation study. Rob Williams Assessment Ltd can advise on any or all of the following psychometric test validation stages. For example, the stages we’d use when asked to conduct a criterion validation study are as follows:
– Best practice advice on how to set-up a validation study involving any psychometric tool;
– Statistical analysis of the psychometric results;
– Analysis of the effectiveness of the ability test design; and
– Production of an easy-to-understand report outlining where and how the psychometric tool is adding value to the selection process.
Validation study examples
As an independent test developer Rob Williams offers considerable psychometric test validation expertise and has conducted a very wide range of psychometric test validation studies, including:
– Aptitude test validation i.e. verbal reasoning tests, abstract reasoning tests and numerical reasoning tests (retail sector, leisure sector, transport sector, finance sector)
– Personality questionnaire validation (leisure sector, hotel sector, insurance sector, transport sector). See Published papers and personality questionnaire design.
– Bespoke personality questionnaire validation studies for sales and customer service staff in a call centre and for managers in the retail sector
– Selection process validation from online sift via phone interview/assessment centre through to acceptance (financial services sector)
– Emotional intelligence questionnaire validation
– Personality questionnaire validation (insurance sector). See Published Papers.
– Customer service psychometric test validation
– Graduate-level aptitude test validation of verbal and numerical reasoning tests (accountancy firm)
– Middle manager general ability verbal and numerical reasoning psychometric test validation studies (retail sector)
– Personality questionnaire validation study incorporating 360-degree feedback results
– Personality questionnaire validation study using salary grades (financial services sector)
– Cross-cultural personality questionnaire validation based upon managerial status and earnings
– Cross-cultural call centre work sample simulation psychometric test validation studies