Firstly, the main focus of this page is 11 Plus Maths tips, followed by psychometric tips.
Free online 11 Plus practice
11 plus maths topics are taken from the Maths Key Stage 2 Curriculum. These are:
- Number and Place Value.
- Basic maths operators (Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
- Ratio and proportion.
- Fractions, percentages, decimals.
There can be wide variations in the standard of the 11+ exam, independent schools routinely differ from grammar school tests. It is always important to check the syllabus and make sure your child is learning the correct material.
11 Plus Maths Tips
- Practice has been shown to improve test results – so get in all the practice you can before the big day! If you know what to expect, you’ll feel more confident and it will be easier for you to get into the right mind-set on your actual test day.
- Set aside a quiet time when you are unlikely to be disturbed to practice. To do well on the test you’ll need to stay completely focussed, so use high levels of concentration in your practice sessions as well.
- Pace yourself. Aim for a calm but efficient approach and work systematically, tackling one question at a time. The goal is to complete as many of the questions as possible in the time allowed. If you work too fast, you’ll make unnecessary mistakes; go too slow and you won’t complete enough questions. If time permits, go back and check your answers.
- If in doubt, double check that you have read the statement correctly and understood exactly what the question is asking you. Misreading a question can cost you points. Similarly, misreading instructions is a potentially disastrous mistake – so make sure you fully understand the instructions before you begin.
- You won’t succeed if you guess all your answers, but if time is running out it makes sense to guess. Putting the same answer option for all your remaining questions may get you a few extra points – so go for it.
- Get a good night’s sleep before the test so that you will be fully rested and able to perform to the best of your abilities. Give yourself plenty of time so that you arrive a the testing location with time to spare.
- Firstly, Free practice abstract reasoning tests.
- Secondly, Practice LNAT critical verbal reasoning tests.
- Thirdly, Aptitude test tips and Aptitude test practice.
- Then, Situational judgement test practice.
Maths Tests in book form
The following book covers a full range of practice numeracy tests from the easiest to the most difficult: Brilliant Passing Numerical Reasoning.
Psychometric test practice – Passing Numerical reasoning Tests
Other 11 Plus Papers news:
11 Plus Maths / Grammar School Entrance
Literacy Tips / Test Practice / School Entrance Exams
Our 11 Plus Blog at sister site School Entrance Tests
Top Tips for Successful 11-plus Preparation / Percentage pass marks for the 11-plus? / 11 Plus Test Papers from Days Gone By / Some last minute 11 Plus Strategies / Taking it to the Next 11 Plus Exam / Grammar School Entry / 11+ Maths practice / 11 Plus Maths Tips / 11 Plus Non verbal reasoning tips / 11+ Exams Practice