Welcome to our Firefighter career guide.
How to become a firefighter
(1) Entry-level requirements
One can undertake Level 2 or 3 Diploma in the public services for applying for the position of a Firefighter. Entry requirements also include at least 2 GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D) or any equivalent requirement for level 2 course. 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) or any equivalent requirement would be needed for level 3 course. One also has to pass an online test for the assessment of judgement ability in real work settings and reading and number tests.
The job duties of a firefighter include inspection and maintenance of equipment and undertaking practice drills for fire services. It also has to be responsive to emergency calls and rescue people, animals from accidents sides and burning buildings. They also have to deal with floods and bomb alerts and put out property fires. They also inspect buildings for ensuring that they are meeting regulations of fire safety.
(3) Career path
A Firefighter can work its way up to being a crew manager or station manager with experience and training. One can also move between different services and become Brigade manager or area manager. You can undertake professional qualifications to become a member of the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE).
(4) Job opportunities
Apprenticeship vacancies are available online job portals and ‘Find an apprenticeship service’ can be helpful to find firefighter related jobs and to get alerts about new apprenticeships.
(5) Where to find more information
For further information, ‘local fire and rescue service’ can be contacted for careers and firefighters and the recruitment packs.
Our ‘Jobs in…’ Guides
- Firstly, our Yoga teacher jobs
- Secondly, our Consumer Jobs
- Third, our social media and marketing jobs
- Then next our nursing jobs.
- Plus our Project Manager jobs.
- And also our Design jobs and tips
- Plus Statistician Jobs
- And also our Executive Assistant jobs and personal assistant jobs
- Plus our Bookkeeper jobs
- Then next our care sector jobs
- And also our Entrepreneur Test
- Plus our Manager jobs
- Then next our Minerals, Materials and Resources Jobs
- Plus Account Executive Jobs
- Then next our
- Finally, our Start-Up Jobs.