Rob Williams Assessment Ltd specialises in designing bespoke digital assessments and would be happy to help you with your gamified assessment needs.
* * * Click here for GAME BASED ASSESSMENT PRACTICE * * *
We worked with HireVue on their game based assessment design for three years:
- We led the development of most of the psychometrically valid game based assessment designs. These gamified assessment designs incorporated broad cognitive skills (2017/18) and then later personality traits (2018/19).
- Our gamified assessments for Hire Vue represent a highly engaging component of HireVue’s video-based assessments.
- HireVue is now the world leader in both game based assessment and in HireVue video assessments.
- HireVue use AI to build mobile-first video assessments combining both video interview, cognitive test and personality assessment components.
Game-based Assessment Tips
Follow the GBA instructions precisely:
Recruiters are not trying to catch you out . There should invariably be clear and detailed instructions. GBA’s are relatively new psychometric assessments. It’s therefore recognised by most game based assessment providers (HireVue, Arctic Shores, Pymetrics) that there are new concepts which need to be explained.
Practise game based assessment:
- Sometimes there is the opportunity to practice first. If necessary, re-read the instructions and redo the practice questions several times.
- Or with the HireVue game based assessments to download the app from the Apple store. Then to practice that way. Do take advantages of any such GBA practice opportunities.
‘Play’ but stay focused:
- Ensure you take your GBA when you are at your most focussed.
- Avoid doing your game based assessment first thing in the morning. Similarly, late at night when you are tired. You needx to be at your most focused.
Try to be relaxed:
- It’s important to do your GBA in the right environment.
- Set yourself up in a quiet area, where you will not be disturbed, and make sure that you are sat comfortably.
Game Based Assessment design (GBA), or gamified assessment, involves a blend of psychometric design expertise, game design and machine learning.
Some of the most popular HireVue assessments we’ve helped to design have assessed the cognitive aspects of personality traits. For example, the identification of emotions in other people. OR of spotting the use of empathy can be used to influence and to lead others. Meanwhile, Hire Vue this year exceeded over ten million video interviews.
What are game based assessments?
Firstly, game-based assessments evaluate a range of competencies. In particular, cognitive skills (e.g. numeracy, working memory, problem-solving). Also, the cognitive component of behaviours. For example the emotion recognition component of empathy.
Game-based assessments are based on decades of psychological research. Hence, these assessments are used to predict job performance and cognitive skills. Since game-based assessments mimic tasks successfully used in traditional psychometric assessments they are very useful in predicting job performance.
We look at various aspects of game-based assessment. These include
- Firstly, general tips on these game-based assessments practice
- Secondly, books that can be helpful in your preparation
- Thirdly, how to prepare for game-based assessments
- And also, game-based assessment tips
Finally, we hope you find this useful.
Using video assessments
We specialise in designing highly predictive psychometric solutions. In particular, situational judgement test design, realistic job preview design, aptitude test design and personality questionnaire design.
We work across a wide range of sectors and job roles. Our tailor-made psychometric offerings are as unique as our clients’ organisations.
Our organisation prides itself on client satisfaction. We have many positive LinkedIn reviews from our big client projects.
Why not contact us today to see how we can assist your organisation in hiring the best potential talent for your organisation.
Using video interviews
Video interviews are completed virtually. Even via any candidate’s mobile. A video interview does then allow employers to drill down on a candidate’s employment value. Just as they would do in a face-to-face interview!
So, you fill your recruiting pipeline with worthy candidates. Then, your next stage in the recruiting lifecycle is to evaluate each candidate’s skills and qualifications. To move only the right ones through the pipeline.
There are other pitfalls in the conventional interviewing process that recruiters and hiring managers rely on. First, in spite of an evaluator’s best intentions, bias can creep into their process, both in content and manner, that can put a candidate at a disadvantage.
Second, an unstructured interviewing process can also unintentionally gloss over the most important skills that lead to on-the-job success.
Finally, it’s not always easy to build a scalable, repeatable process that can evaluate a large pool of good candidates without letting some slip through the cracks.
Game-based Personality Tests
Personality assessment research demonstrates that misleading and careless responses typically stem from lack of internal motivation or interest in the task. To address the underlying motivation issue, we created a text-based fantasy game where participants can select a variety of choices to reflect corresponding personality characteristics.
Results have shown consistent moderate-to-strong correlations between choices in the game and scores on a traditional Five-Factor Model personality inventory, indicating that game-like personality assessments can be developed with acceptable construct validity in a mentally stimulating way.
How gamification facilitates creative thinking
Playing games, literally, is a powerful way of facilitating creative thinking. It lowers the barriers of established behavioural routines. Still many companies are still sceptical about the concept of gamification or unsure how to make it.
Traditional techniques known to foster creativity, include mind-mapping and brainstorming. Many big companies (such as design agencies) embrace these practices in the way they work. Research has now shown how gamification creates a ‘creative space’ where people can share their ideas with each other.
Engaging people’s ideas
‘Ideas management’ engages people’s ideas and then accelerates them through the “innovation funnel”. Traditionally, a company would have an ideas box, then later an Intranet to share ideas.
Digital assessments / gamified assessments
Pymetrics has a history of designing digital assessments / gamified assessments for Unilever. Pymetrics develops neuroscience games and leverages bias-free AI for.
- Digitalised job matching.
- Recruiting high performers (HiPOs).
Twenty minutes of gameplay behaviour with Pymetrics or MindX games will assess high performer potential in specific job roles/industries. MindX focuses on the candidate’s cognitive potential, whilst Pymetrics also offers a range of emotional potential metrics.
Our game-based assessment resources
HireVue Game-based assessment
HireVue Video assessment
– – –Game Based Assessment Design – – –