Situational judgement test design is one of our key psychometric test design specialities.
Our situational judgement test design
Rob Williams Assessment Ltd have considerable experience in situational judgement test designs. Our approach to situational judgement test designs is to always design bespoke situational judgement tests based upon a highly detailed role analysis.
Best practice SJT design
The SJTs we design follow these best practices in SJT design.
– Firstly, review existing role descriptions and competency framework literature.
– Secondly, conduct job analysis sessions (face-to-face or telephone-based) with a selection of subject matter experts.
– Thirdly, reate draft scenarios encompassing positive and negative behavioural responses
– And then write realistic responses to each draft scenario.
– Also, run a small trial of the draft SJT scenarios with a set of subject matter experts. This is primarily to agree the scoring key.
– And then analyse descriptive statistics for the first trial.
– Run a full trial of the draft SJT scenarios.
– Apply and check the scoring key against the trial SJT test results.
– Analyse descriptive statistics for this trial (mean, SD etc).
Our other psychometric test design specialities
- Firstly, Army situational judgement tests.
- Secondly, Realistic Job Preview Design.
- Thirdly, And next Personality Test Design.
- Then next Situational Judgment Test Design.
- Plus, our Strengths Test Design .
- Then finally, our Psychometric Test Design.
Bespoke situational judgement test design benefits
- Strong research evidence – a highly valid and fair test of a range of professional skills.
- High face validity and job relevance
- Reduced adverse impact – especially compared to aptitude tests such as verbal reasoning tests with their high language loading.
- Cost effective development time – a relatively cost effective testing solution.
Digital situational judgement test formats
Rob Williams Assessment Ltd have worked on many situational judgement tests including the different formats described above: ranking 4-6 response options, choosing the Best and/or the Worst response option, and producing video-based online situational judgement test simulations. Rob Williams Assessment Ltd have experience in developing situational judgement tests in the retail, graduate, healthcare and armed service sectors.
In particular we offer considerable experience in the most effective ways to write SJT scenarios and response options that work, as well as the most useful statistical analyses to conduct of your trial SJT data. This is crucial for ensuring the validity of the SJTs you are developing.
Situational Judgement Test Advantages
SJTs advantages, in any suitable recruitment context, ae varies and numerous. The main ones that make SJTs particularly attractive, for example to sift out graduate applicants, are as follows:
- – Easy to administer to large audience
- – Relatively strong validity
- – Can assess sample of the relevant KSA’s
- – Refreshed items possible
- – More difficult to fake responses
SJT Design Projects
- Lazard Brothers and AECOM graduate engineers. Situational judgement test validations
- Citibank. Designing blended assessments for retail and call centre operations in American and Mexico. Managing item writing team for SJTs, ability tests, biodata questions etc.
- Citibank telephony customer service agents (Mexico, Malaysia, India) and retail banking roles (North America): manager, assistant manager, bank teller, personal banker.
- European Union. Development of project management and IT skills-based aptitude tests for the European Union.
- British Airways cabin crew, British Airways customer service and call centre operatives.
BUPA Care Assistants SJT Design
- Design of realistic job preview.
- Design of Situational judgment test.
Beneficial SJT Design Project Outcomes
- Best practice was followed throughout the design process in SJT design.
- An SJT was produced which successfully incorporated a range of care home-specific scenarios.
- The most suitable set of scenarios could be hand-picked at the SME panel meeting, as well as gaining buy-in and discussing implementation.
- Providing some scenarios for telephone interview sifts.
- Setting a suitable cut-off and validating the tool.
Lazard Brothers and AECOM graduate engineers
- Situational judgement test validations
Situational judgement test applications
Increasingly online situational judgment tests are being used as a recruitment sift in place of a more traditional verbal reasoning test and/or personality questionnaire. Here are some of the advantages that situational judgement tests offer compared to more traditional psychometric tests:
– More efficient to use one psychometric combining elements of both reasoning and personality assessments
– Once a bespoke situational judgment test is developed, it is more cost effective
– Situational judgment tests excel at sifting out high volumes of poorer quality candidates whilst selecting in the high calibre candidates who have scored highly across the range of role competencies
– Fairer assessment in terms of diversity issues since there is minimal adverse impact due to gender or ethnic origin
– Situational judgment tests are particularly good at assessing cultural fit. A well designed situational judgment test can therefore assess organisational values – as well as an organisation’s competencies per role.
– Situational judgment tests (SJTs) can act as a realistic job preview since SJTs and RJPs (RJPs) have the same test format. Candidates can sift themselves out of a recruitment process at an early stage – often even before applying if the realistic job preview sits freely available on the company website.
– You can purchase generic situational judgment tests from most UK psychometric test publishers. A bespoke SJT is a more effective sift even though it will be more expensive initially.
Psychometric Test Designs
Many of the UK’s and US’s leading test publishers have used Rob Williams Assessment’s to calculate and prove the reliability of their newly developed psychometric tests.
- Aptitude test design.
- Personality test design.
- Situational judgement test design.
- Values fit / Values sift tools.
- Job preview design.
Situational judgment test design