Situational judgement test design is a specialty.
Situational judgement test designs
Rob Williams Assessment Ltd have considerable experience in situational judgement test designs. Our approach to situational judgement test designs is to always design bespoke situational judgement tests based upon a highly detailed role analysis.
Our other specialist bespoke psychometric design services
SJT Design Project Examples
- Lazard Brothers and AECOM graduate engineers. Situational judgement test validations
- Citibank. Designing blended assessments for retail and call centre operations in American and Mexico. Managing item writing team for SJTs, ability tests, biodata questions etc.
- European Union. Development of project management and IT skills-based aptitude tests for the European Union.
- British Airways cabin crew, British Airways customer service and call centre operatives
- BUPA Care Assistants
- Citibank telephony customer service agents (Mexico, Malaysia, India) and retail banking roles (North America): manager, assistant manager, bank teller, personal banker
Situational judgement test usage
Increasingly online situational judgment tests are being used as a recruitment sift in place of a more traditional verbal reasoning test and/or personality questionnaire. Here are some of the advantages that situational judgement tests offer compared to more traditional psychometric tests:
– More efficient to use one psychometric combining elements of both reasoning and personality assessments
– Once a bespoke situational judgment test is developed, it is more cost effective
– Situational judgment tests excel at sifting out high volumes of poorer quality candidates whilst selecting in the high calibre candidates who have scored highly across the range of role competencies
– Fairer assessment in terms of diversity issues since there is minimal adverse impact due to gender or ethnic origin
– Situational judgment tests are particularly good at assessing cultural fit. A well designed situational judgment test can therefore assess organisational values – as well as an organisation’s competencies per role.
– Situational judgment tests (SJTs) can act as a realistic job preview since SJTs and RJPs (RJPs) have the same test format. Candidates can sift themselves out of a recruitment process at an early stage – often even before applying if the realistic job preview sits freely available on the company website.
– You can purchase generic situational judgment tests from most UK psychometric test publishers. A bespoke SJT is a more effective sift even though it will be more expensive initially.
SJTs can assess difficult skills
Judgment is one of the most difficult skills to assess online. This is one of the reasons why situational judgement tests have become more and more prevalent in recent years since the first SJTs appeared on the market about fifty years ago. The two other main reasons are that situational judgment assessments offer a fairer assessment than aptitude tests and personality questionnaires.
Our situational judgement test design process
The SJTs we design focus on identifying candidates who think and behave in the right way for our client organisations. We will take you through the following stages:
– Review existing role descriptions and competency framework literature
– Conduct job analysis sessions (face-to-face or telephone-based) with a selection of subject matter experts (SME’s)
– Create draft scenarios encompassing positive and negative behavioural responses
– Write realistic responses to each draft scenario
– Run a small trial of the draft SJT scenarios with a set of subject matter experts. This is primarily to agree the scoring key
– Analyse descriptive statistics for the first trial
– Run a full trial of the draft SJT scenarios
– Apply and check the scoring key against the trial SJT test results
– Analyse descriptive statistics for this trial (mean, SD etc)