Popular STEM military career opportunities
Five of the more popular jobs after the military are:
- Business and Finance
- Social Work
While all are good choices, two of the five stand out for the number of current job openings and demand for veterans with the right skill sets.
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) offers fast-growing opportunities. In particular, these STEM roles:
- Cyber security.
- Information Security Analyst.
- Computer Network Architects.
- Civil Engineering.
- Environmental Engineering.
- Medical Scientists (clinical).
- Medical Scientists (lab).
STEM military careers
In the US alone, there’s an estimated 9 million jobs expected over the next ten years.
Also known as computer security or information technology security. Cyber security uses technology to monitor, mitigate and prevent online threats.
Cyber security work is interesting and there are plenty of job opportunities. The pay is pretty good too!
Some of the Military Occupation Specialties (MOS) that transition well are:
- Army – Cyber Operations Specialist
- Air Force – Cyber Security Specialists
- Navy – Cyber Security Engineers (Officer), Cryptologic and Info Systems Techs
- Army – Information Assurance Techs
- Army – Info Systems Techs
For those transitioning from a different military field, usually a four-year bachelor’s degree is needed in cybersecurity or information technology/security.